Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Down on the Farm

In case you haven't heard, we are headed to the farm for spring break - the Amish Farm!!!!  That's right, we are taking the fam on a fun-filled vacation of the back to the beginning of the food chain type for a week in Pennsylvania, Lancaster COunty to be exact.  Frankly, I am truly excited!! Our accommodations have electricity and a stove and microwave, AC, etc... but NO TV!! This is so great!!! No Bakugans, Diego, Hannah Montana, World's Strongest Man Competition.... aaaaahhhhh.

But, I am confused as to why these folks call it the simple life. Seriously. There's nothing simple about plowing a field with a horse drawn plow.  Or harvesting the same field with out modern machinery.  This sounds rather hard and laborious, if you ask me!

Plain people - this term I comprehend. They wear no jewelry, don't cut their hair, dress very modestly, no make-up... I get that. And I think it might be kind of refreshing to sans a make-up for a week.  Plain, yes. Simple?  I think not.

The family we are renting guest quarters from has three boys the ages of our older kids, and the mom is delightful on the phone, which is in the shed, and used only for the guest house booking purposes.  I am looking forward to meeting them - and she said her boys would be so excited to play with our kids!

Which leads me to a new problem (as if I don't have enough): I have to get these kiddies into disciplinary shape before we go, as Amish kids are much better behaved than the average houligan!  Last thing I want is for my kids to corrupt theirs - sheesh! Talk about guilt!  So, I have gotten out the hard hat and drill sargent whistle... game on gals, game on!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh my gosh. I am so jealous. I have been reading some amish books and i keep thinking it seems like such hard work but their kids seem better behaved and they don't write in the books my kids favorite saying "I'm BORED". I wish i was going. As for your kids influencing their kids don't worry i am sure the have a detox program for that. LOL
Aren't you so glad i am blogging back.