Sunday, June 29, 2008

Appropriate Birthday Gifts for Children

First off, Sister Scout, You'll be happy this was not an email. Secondly, we just returned from celebrating our sons 7th birthday;  this year we celebrated with a little buddy of his that has the same birthday  - don't think we'll be doing that again!  But that is not the point!  I want to address some gifts my children have received for birthdays, Christmas, or any other holiday that might have been avoided with a little,... or any forethought.

The one that really stood out in my mind was the same child's birthday gift from last year from his grandparents: boxing gloves, not one set but TWO!!!  I kid you not! So, they asked (laughing): "Do you hate us?", and I responded: "The question is, do you hate us?"  Seriously; two educated, logical, seemingly normal people sought, bought, and gifted BOXING GLOVES to a 6 year-old, with 3 1/2 year-old and soon to be 8 year-old (at the time) siblings!  Funny, I can't seem to find them lately... not that I have looked.

And there are the gifts that we have received  for the kids which 1) are 'looking gifts' only - such as figurines for my daughter ( Ihave tons of these) 2) items marked CLEARLY: not intended for children, or not a toy 3) wind up musical Christmas decorations, of which I now have 8, but only the girls (granddaughters) get those...yeah. 4) bean bag chairs, or any other item requiring freight delivery 5) extremely large stuffed animals that need their own room.

But today, I think someone topped all of the above... and yippee... it wasn't a relative!  Today, as a gift for his 7th birthday, #3 received... I am so not kidding,... FIREWORKS!!!!  Yep. Apparently I missed the memo approving fireworks, matches, and flame throwers for children under the age of 30.  Somewhere along the line I think somebody missed the boat on why we don't let children,... or adults,... play with FIRE!  Last time I heard, ya don't hand your kids a lighter and tell em to have a great afternoon!!!!  SO, I tell The Hub, and he's like AAAAAWWWWWWRIIIIGGGHHHTTTTT!!!!  'Scuse me????????  He says:'I guess we'll have to light em up, he he he he!'  From me: stony silence.  From him: Oh. (more silence as he thinks up a response that will not end him in parenting classes) Well, no, that wasn't an appropriate gift.  Ya think?  I won't let the child play in the front yard without a watchful eye 'cause he still runs after the soccer ball into the street, despite the hair-raising screams from his mother: STOP! DID YOU LOOK BOTH WAYS!!! AND THEN BOTH WAYS AGAIN?!! THERE COULD HAVE BEEN A CAR!!!!... oh, you get the idea.  Like I want him in possession of fireworks?  What are these people thinkin'?!!!!  Better yet, DO THEY THINK?  So, I think for THEIR child's birthday I'll be contacting the North American Venomous Reptile Society sales department (I made this organization up a few years ago for a joke on a friend; my apologies if there really is one... and if there is, ... seriously? ).  Yep. We'll just send ol' Dennis the Menace a little friend!  Or, a first aid kit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The only thing I can think of is........seriously.....do these people have children????????