Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tis the season and Bah-humbug!

For those of you who don't know me so well, I am the Grinch.  I love the reason for the season, though Christ was most likely born in April or thereabouts, but not all the hoopla that comes with it.  And I could definitely do without the seven our eight weeks of Christmas music!!!  Nothing like trick or treating to Christmas Carols!!!!

So, it is nothing short of a miracle that I wrapped my first Christmas presents today.  Sister Scout just fell over, passed out cold from the shock, no doubt!!!  Yep, Mrs. Claus did some online shopping, and Nana sent some gifts early, and in order to prevent nosey Masses from discovering their booty, I had to wrap.

Now, there are your Martha Stewarts.
You have the professionals at the department or specialty stores.
There are the crafty moms.
Experienced grandmas.
Up and coming wives that want impress.
Your kids.
The Hubs.
My ten month old.
And there is me.

Please note where I rank in the scale of skill - so sub-amateur that the elevator doesn't even go that low!  You'd think that the invention of the gift bag would have been a God-send, but you are wrong, my friend, you are wrong.  In the hands of a professional, it becomes a veritable bouquet of fluff and festivity; in my hands, it's just a fancy paper bag with tissue paper crammed into it.  This is NOT my gifting.

I remember as a wee lassie, sitting at me mummies knee attempting to learn the great art of tying fancy bows (all the rage at the time - there were classes and everything!); we'd take the ribbon with the wire in it, in shades of country blue or dusky rose and twist and tie, fluff and curve.  Alas, it was not to be for me.  I failed the family legacy... OK, a wee bit dramatic here.  I let my sister do it!

If I cared enough I might hire a professional to wrap the presents, decorate the tree (OK, the kids do it... 'nuff said; VERY bottom heavy on the ornamentation), and decorate the house, and VOILA!!! Southern Living, here I come.

But I don't. Oh, I care that Christ came, that he lived, that he died (FOR ME - whew! Glad I don't have to do that!) and that he rose again (the real biggie, along with ascending into heaven and sitting at the Right hand of God the Father Almighty, in whom is given all power and authority - that part REALLY counts!!!) - I care a lot about that!

I just don't care enough to spend all that time learning how to wrap presents.  But I admit that today I hit a new low in the wrapping world - I measured wrong and ended up splicing paper together. Gosh! I feel like I've been to confession - forgive me, for I have sinned!!!

I'm really ashamed of myself.  I feel like I've hit rock bottom!  I admit it!  I don't care about wrapping presents!!!!

This could be a turning point for me, you know? I think I might just rewrap that present...

Coming up: (yes, I am now advertising future blogs seeing as I have ONE FOLLOWER - sheesh, even David Koresh had more than that!!!)  The Rocket - COOL in the terms of parenting!  You won't want to miss that one, but no rush, as the Hub usually drags it out for WEEKS!!!! 

Also, A Home in Mourning: Life after Pip Passes.

No comments: