Friday, May 1, 2009

Confession Time

Yes, I have been enjoying Crackbook too much. I miss my prose outlet, and I bet you miss my 'funny'!!! Well, we are fast approaching summer; this means we have to lay down some rules, guidelines, do's and don'ts.  So, I took the opPortunity a few weeks ago to broach the subject with he Masses: God did not put me on this earth to run you over to your friends' houses, or host them all endlessly from the time the school bell rings for the summer 'til it rings in August!

THEY WERE SHOCKED, TO SAY THE LEAST!

I had to ask myself what it was exactly that originally gave my children the idea that I was their personal chauffeur and servant (let's leave the Christian perspective of servanthood on the side plate... it is NOT referring to me being their slave...). I dread Friday afternoons simply because my 7 year-old son knows this is when he can have a play date... if we can still call it that, him being seven  and all. And then it's all day Saturday and Sunday: "Can I have a friend over? Can I go to someone's house??" And my personal favorite (and yours too): 'I'm bored; I wouldn't be if I had someone to play with!"

I'd like to invite you to my home at this time to review the number of people and pets that dwell here (daily): Me, The Hub, #1, #2, #3, #4, two dogs (that's a story too), and three hamsters.  There isn't enough oxygen in my house for very many more living breathing beings! In fact, we are building a house so that all the breathing beings have more air!!! 

So, I went over the rules... which I had very little trouble coming up with, but I'm sure could use some tweaking.  They are as follows:

1. You will get up and get dressed (clothes, hair, teeth brushed, breakfast) by 9 am daily.
2. You will make bed daily.
3. You will tidy-up: pick up jammies and put in laundry, wipe toothpaste off sink, put away clean clothes, and shoes, clear dishes from the table.
4. You will then willingly and joyfully complete any chores Mom should give you, simply out of thanks to the Lord Our God that He has given you a place to live, sleep, eat, and a loving family to do all those things with.
5. You will not play daily with a friend, so don't ask; if you want someone to play with, God has given you siblings. If your father and I had wanted you to be bored and lonely we would have stopped with one child!
6. You will do some school work daily so that your brain doesn't turn to mush, and so that the baby can nap.
7. You will read, read, and read this summer; there will be an incentive program, and NO, I don't know what it is yet.
8. You will not fight with your siblings more than once a day - that's all you get, so pick your battle wisely. Also, be aware that I will be settling that battle, and both parties could lose big at any time...
9. One hour of TV daily, tops. Only exception is if you are sick and unable to get out of bed.
These are just a few that I rattled off... but should you come up with any ideas, I sure would be happy to add them on!!!

That said, I just informed #2 that he could go outside and play with his brother; #3 was told that if he didn't want to play with the toys downstairs PLEASE let me know as I'd like to reduce the crap factor in our house!!! #1 is watching TV, and her hour is almost up!!! #4 is napping...

WELCOME TO GRANOLA MAMA KATIE'S BOOT CAMP, BOYS AND GIRLS!!!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Ohhhhh.... I would LOVE to see your life at your house. :) It really needs to be made into a reality show... it almost makes my busy life look sedate. :) I just love the idea of summer boot camp for children.... I bet their teachers love you come fall. :)

Katie said...

I think the kids are happy and ready for school in the fall - it isn'tsuch a shock to them... I DO let them have some fun, after they scrub the floors clean on their hands and knees with a toothbrush - ha ha ha!!!