Saturday, April 4, 2009

Are You Being Served?

This was the title of a delightful British comedy years ago, set in department store, but now longer available via PBS, though you can order the complete collection on DVD from the PBC catalog... but this bit of trivial trivia has nothing really to do with what I plan on talking about today.

THis afternoon, the Hub, made one of his now famous statements (famous because I am talking about it now). We had just spent the day attending/ coaching (often from the sidelines... please see previous post about the beast at soccer) two soccer games, spent two hours at the circus (a REAL circus that comes to town every year... not my house around 4:30 on Friday afternoon), when we pulled into our neighborhood amidst complaints from the Masses of extreme hunger; I suggested that he start heating up some leftover Mom's World Famous Spaghetti sauce and pasta, and I'd get the sodas and be right back. Here's the good part... he responded:

Nope. I'm not doin' it. I'm tired of serving them.

WHA-HUHHHHH????????  HE's tired of serving them???? HE????? Are you kidding me???? Last time I checked (which was just this morning), I was the stay-at-home parent; on duty for sick child care, school programs, afternoon marathons, and play dates. I am the one who grocery shops, clothes and shoes shops, cleans, cooks, launders (with help from God's Greatest Blessing), and basically sees to the every need of every one and thing in this house!

In fact, service is my job. And his too. He just doesn't know it. I'm breaking him in slowly... like taking off a band-aid... little by little.  Thank heavens I was on my way to Sonic right after he opened his mouth and inserted his foot, or I would have guffawed in his face!!!!

BUt one more silly comment like that, and I'm changing my 'band-aid' removal approach - RRRRIIIIPPPPP!!!!!! OUCH!

No comments: